I got some great news when I got home from work today. JK Rowling released somewhat of a short story about Harry Potter and his Pals!
The story was released in the form of a gossip column written by none other than the (in)famous Rita Skeeter.Through Pottermore, a site that’s purpose is to give fans little snippets of extended Harry Potter cannon, JK Rowling has been writing updates for the 2014 Quidditch World Cup (which coincides with the Soccer World Cup in Brazil).
Apparently today was the final match and some VIPs showed up: Harry, Ginny, Ron, Hermione, Luna, and Neville, among others. Rita writes in a way only she could, about what Harry and the gang have been up to, and it’s fantastic.
You can read the whole thing over on Pottermore, but there are some parts that I really loved.
- First that she tries to play up a cut on Harry’s face as some sort of domestic dispute between him and Ginny. In true Rita Skeeter fashion the assumptions are completely unfounded, and we’ll really never know if it was Ginny or it was due to Harry’s job as an Auror (which it probably was). Harry seems like he is a very private person, and probably wouldn’t tell Rita Skeeter anything anyway, but I like that he tries his best to keep to himself.
- Rita mentions that Hermione is moving her way up quickly in the Ministry. Hermione Granger for Minister of Magic.
- Teddy Lupin and Victorie Weasley just kissing everywhere. EVERYWHERE
- Neville and his wife enjoying firewhiskey. Party it up Longbottoms. I bet Neville and Hannah throw the best parties.
- Ron running the joke shop with George. Still a family business. Ron seems much more suited to this kind of work than fighting evil wizards. Ron, like his brothers, loves to laugh and is probably a people person so the joke shop is a good match for him.
- Rita’s comment about Hermione’s hair. That made me laugh out loud.
I love getting things like this from JK Rowling. Harry Potter has always been a consent in my life, and probably in Rowling’s. Seems like she can’t leave it alone like I can’t. Having this story written from Rita Skeeters point of view just gives us a vague idea of the facts with a lot of speculation. And that’s kind of how I want my information about Harry and friends to be from now on. I’ve had my seven books of inside Harry’s head, and it’s nice to be out of it. I would really like to keep getting information about Harry and friends from “sources” like this: interviews, articles, or just outsiders.
And I swear to god JK Rowling. If on July 31st we don’t at least get a lengthy Pottermore entry about Dumbledore’s Army: The Darkside of the Demob I’m going to be….very disappointed.
Did you read the gossip column? What was your favorite part?